Saturday, June 5, 2010

How Much Was Kathleen's Life Worth?

In my researches today I stumbled across an old criminal case that gave me pause.

In September 1986 there was a 17-year-old girl, beautiful and full of promise, by the name of Kathleen Holland. She had a high-school sweetheart, 18-year-old Joseph Porto. They had graduated high school together in June 1986 and started college in August 1986.

Then, in September 1986, just a few days shy of her 18th birthday, Kathleen went missing. Her frantic boyfriend Joseph assisted in the search...and when her body was discovered in a wooded area by the Long Island Expressway, he broke down and confessed to the police. Confessed to what? In a 45-minute videotaped confession, Porto confessed to having exploded in a rage of jealousy and hurt pride when Holland told him she wanted to date other men. He further confessed that that he had strangled his girlfriend till "my hands got tired," then used his high school graduation tassel to finish the job. Pretty, isn't it? Apparently he told a prosecution psychiatrist the same thing. Porto was then charged with second-degree murder in Holland's death.

Flash forward to Porto's trial, April 1988. On the witness stand, Porto recanted his confession from a year-and-a-half previously, and instead tearfully insisted that he had made up the murder confession to cover the truth. What, might you ask, was the truth? The truth, said Porto, was that he and Holland had been playing a sex game that had gone too far...that she wanted him to strangle her in order to heighten sexual pleasure, e.g., erotic asphyxiation or sexual asphyxia. In his excitement, he said, he killed her accidentally. This particular defense, known as the "rough sex" defense, had been used in the "Preppie Murder" trial of Robert Chambers in 1987, and Chambers had been convicted of manslaughter rather than of murder in the killing of Jennifer Levin. Instead of being convicted for second-degree murder and sentenced to twenty years, Porto was instead convicted on the lesser charge of criminally negligent homicide and sentenced to four years. And he was out in December 1990, a mere two-and-a-half years later, for good behavior.

Why, might you ask, am I writing about this today?

Because I find it really nauseating that for the taking of this young woman's life, Porto was only required to sacrifice two-and-a-half years of his. Basically, Porto's wily defense attorney Barry Slotnick (who had also defended the "subway vigilante" Bernhard Goetz) put a new spin on the well-worn, time-honored defense attorney strategy of "blame the victim". To paraphrase Alan Dershowitz, the defense went beyond "she asked for it", and instead basically said that "she demanded it."

The defense quite handily turned the tables on the prosecution, and instead of the trial being about Porto and what he had done, it became about whether or not sexual asphyxia would even be part of a teenage girl's sexual...uh...repertoire. Slotnick even went so far as to put an expert witness on the stand to testify that indeed, sexual asphyxia was more common than people would otherwise think, and not just among masturbating males either. The jury bought it, and Porto got a pretty damn light sentence for the taking of a human life. This, despite the fact that according to Holland's friends, Porto had a penchant for hurting women, and the fact that Holland had been trying to break up with him prior to her death. Given the convenient way that Porto recanted his original confession and came up with the "rough sex" defense a year and a half after the fact, my instinct is that his original confession is probably the real story...and that the "rough sex" defense was theater put on by his attorney, to get him the lightest sentence possible. Since there could be no doubt that Porto killed Holland, how better to get him a light sentence than to make the trial about her rather than him, to dirty her up, basically making her death her fault?

You may ask, why do I even care? I suppose I shouldn't, because in this wreck of a world, anything is possible. Anything can happen, and it usually does.

But I feel sadness for Kathleen. She never got to date other guys, finish college, have a career, get married, have a family...and the piece of shit who killed her was out of prison in two-and-a-half years, and wherever he is now, at least he's had a life.

People shouldn't be forgotten. Kathleen, I will remember you.

23 comments:

  1. I remember this case, I remember reading about it, seeing it on the news. I remember this dirtbag getting off, and thinking how can this happen: lies, money and theatrics. My condolences to the Holland family, shame on the Porto menagerie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I'm glad you wrote about it after all these years. I went to high school with both of them. It was a pretty big scandal in our "small town" I am much older now. I had remembered this,& decided to look it up. I can't believe he got off so easy for killing her. I vaguely remember his family shipping him off to Italy when he was released. Poor girl...

      Delete
  2. I remember this case, I remember reading about it, seeing it on the news. I remember this dirtbag getting off, and thinking how can this happen: lies, money and theatrics. My condolences to the Holland family, shame on the Porto menagerie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I first want to compliment you for writing such a good piece here.

    I too never forgot Kathleen Holland, I was outraged how Slotnik, a true hater of women, concocted this ridiculous story that rough sex killed poor Kathleen. Really? So if it were true ( which we all know it is not), when Kathleen would had been gasping for air, trying to peel Porto's fingers away from around her neck, flailing about, uhh that would not had been a clue for that murderer he took it too far? When he realized she was not breathing, his first impulse was not to call 911, get her to the ER, but instead go dump her body in the woods?

    What a travesty of justice the case was. You are right about Porto he got off Scott Free, a mere slap on the wrist simply because his Daddy had a lot of money, enough money to hire a soulless attorney who could care less about right or wrong, but cares getting his client off even if by lying. How do lawyers like that live with themselves? Do they have no consciences?

    Porto's Daddy there did not want his poor little son there to go away for life in prison which is exactly what he deserved. God bless Kathleen's soul and her family's i cannot imagine the emotional torture they went through. not at only losing their beloved and innocent Kathleen, but also having her body be tossed into the woods, and then also having her name and character sullied in a court of law and her killer being given a short joke of a sentence.

    I wonder does Porto have nightmares about Kathleen, let's hope he does!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joseph Porto is the owner of Poppyseeds Bagels in Matthews, NC and living in a mansion of a house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truly awful! How do you explain your past (or do you let them stumble upon it with "ask Google") to your new spouse,children & grandchildren?! your neighbors, coworkers, NC people now in your life ... your soul???

      Delete
    2. I agree and am so upset to hear this.

      Delete
    3. I remember it vividly. I also remember how Slotnick, that lowlife subhuman, immediately taught the murdering scumbag to use the same defense as the Preppie Murder. Hell, it wasn't even creative. You would think that the law would not protect someone who murdered a girl and dumped her body along the Long Island Expwy. Still sickened by it, but I really believe that there is a mob component to this story. Why else would Kathleen's father, a Nassau Detective himself, not move further to elucidate what happened. I know, too, that Kathleen's brother wanted to kill Porto, but was 'convinced' to go to a grief counseling and anger management in order to dispel those compulsions. Sad state of affairs, and there's a big Italian mafia connection here. I do not know this first hand, so I won't mention any names--I don't know any anyway, but it's widely known in Bayville that the Portos are rather 'connected'. True? Don't ask me. I only know what I hear.

      Delete
  5. Sad that hat this happen to a girl that didn't live her life throw

    ReplyDelete
  6. Porto and Slotnick are both filthy pigs. Not only did Porto take a beautiful, young girl's life but then, together with attorney Slimeball Slotnick, they deliberately try to ruin her reputation and trash her short, young life. I hope both Porto and Slotnick will be judged upon their deaths and spend the rest of eternity suffering in the bowels of hell.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just remebered this UN-Godly situation while trying to deal with my Bi-POLAR daughter. My heart is breaking remembering when i use to go, recently married and love filled, to their family owned video store in Locust Valley. I have much more to say but i will hold back. Prayers to her memory and her family's pain.

    ReplyDelete
  8. time for the hollands to man up and exact revenge on the porto tribe....if that was one of my loved ones.....they'd be extinct

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Hollands were very definitely controlled by 'someone' after this incident. It had to be a very definite threat because Mr. Holland was a Nassau County detective at the time. Cops don't just lie back and take things like someone murdering their daughters. Kathleen's brother wanted to kill Joey Porto, but very quickly was made to follow a similar path as his father. Curious that the Portos are always mentioned as high powered mob people, though I don't know if there's any proof of this, but Porto's confession to the murder to the police was quickly, thanks to Barry Slotnick, subhuman lawyer, changed to the rough sex nonsense that the Preppie Murderer had just recently gotten light treatment for using. In any case...I think there's a good, real, credible reason why the Hollands have not pursued this, and I'm certain that there is either a blackmail or death threat reason on the Porto end that has silenced the Hollands for 30 years. The case still sickens me.

      Delete
  9. I will never forget her either..I was the guy she was leaving him for. he was a violent POS entitled prick..who should have done life in prison

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was living in the same dorm as Kathleen in Naussau Hall and was also a freshman at c.w. post in the fall of 86'. My roommate of the following year, Post Hall, was dating her roommate at the time. I remember when Joe Porto knocked on my door at 7:30 a.m. holding a picture of Kathleen asking me if I'd seen her. He was canvasing the campus with Kathleen's brother I looked right in his eyes as he spat his tale and when our brief interaction was over and he walked off down the hall to knock on another door, I punched my blue metal door so hard at that moment that my knuckles cracked and bled. He turned around and saw me looking right through him. Why did I punch the door? Because 10 hours later at 4am, the RA working the front door, my best friend at post, knocked on my door until I awoke and came in wide eyed saying, " Dude, you were right. He did it! He just confessed!" I knew this cretin was guilty the second I looked in his eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I live near and have been in this POS store!! Someone made me aware of this today and I will never step foot in there again. How has this not been spoken about in NC? It seems half of LI lives here but no one mentions this? I’ve heard stories how his anger comes out when he has an argument with a customer. I seriously hope she haunts his dreams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just found out about this as well! Kathy’s brother died last month and today is the anniversary of her death 32 years ago. I googled Joe Porto the other day and found this article and these comments with where he lives and his bagel store. I sent this article to a local Charlotte paper that had a write up about Poppyseed Bagel Store.

      Delete
  12. I grew up in Bayville and was there at that time. Her brother just died. Here is his obituary, he was so affected by her death. https://oysterbayfuneralhome.com/tribute/details/1327/Dennis-Holland/obituary.html#tribute-start

    ReplyDelete
  13. Didnt kathleen habe a twin brother named anthony??

    ReplyDelete
  14. As a killer didn’t care move from Long Island to get away but it will follow him the rest of his life no one knows as of yet in nc.poeple going in his store to by bangles from a killer his house is 7300 potter lane weddington nc phone # 631-433-7268 he has 3 bagel shops poppie seed bagel in Matthews nc , look it up don’t buy anything from a killer

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a person that don’t care about anything people going to his bagel shop popping seed bagel in Matthew nc. His son got locked up for dealing drugs in the store and got out and still dealing drugs in there store that man has no mind all I can say people get him out of the community stop buying from his store feeding him and drugs with in your community there phone number 631-433-7268 631-2191126 look up his sons records goggle Vincent porto drug dealer in your town

    ReplyDelete
  16. I went to school with Joseph Porto. He was in my 6th grade class. We were friends, and he used to ride his bicycle to my house without calling and get upset when I was busy doingother things. His father sent him to a private school or something so I didn't see him for a while. A year or so later, I moved closer to the High School Katleen Holland and I went to. She rode the same bus I did for 5 years, and her first boyfriend was my next door neigh bor. We were not friends and I do remember her being very attractive. We weren't friends, but not rivals for sure.

    I remember hearing about the murder in the newspaper, and was completely shocked. I was in my first year of college in Suffolk County and could not believe that had happened to her. But honestly, something about him was a little different to me. Seemed like a kid who had some issues. If he had gone to a boarding school or what not, it seemed like that after he had come back. a little distant. and that encounter that I had with him was before I had moved and before he had done what he did.

    Another thing is that I had many friends in the area and heard about him attending parties after he got out of prison. As well, heard he had gotten drunk and said that she deserved it. I do not know, I was not there. It was many years ago, and reading all of this brought me right back.

    He definitely should have been put away for life.

    ReplyDelete